Notifications
Clear all

Carpe Iter BMW controller and Samsung accessibility

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Reactions
(@richard-hill)
Topic starter  

I find that regularly the apps on my phone become unresponsive to the controller and this seems to be the Samsung Accessibility service no longer working with Carpe Iter.

The phone will periodically remind me to check accessibility settings which got me to thinking there is some kind of time out or power feature at work here. I found that a few people do complain about apps using the Accessibility Service and it needing resetting. I tried removing the power optimisation for the service (it's an app), but still no good. My current workaround is assigning the Accessibility shortcut of holding volume up & down to Carpe Iter. If it fails to communicate (or even as a precaution before using the CI controller) then I hold volume up & down to switch accessibility off, count to 3 and then switch it on again. Seems to work, if a bit of a faff.

Purely for reference as it is difficult to find, and perhaps Samsung may alter the behaviour of the service in the future, here's how to find the power settings for the service...

Settings (cog icon when swiping down)
Search for "Accessibility"
Tap on the result Accessibility
Tap About Accessibility
Tap the circled i in top right hand side
Tap on Battery in Usage section
Can select Unrestricted

Support Carpe Iter
(@support-carpe-iter)
Member Admin

Please have a look at this FAQ page: https://support.carpe-iter.com/en/support/solutions/articles/201000050055-accessibility-feature-turned-off

I recommend using the accessibility feature shortcut, and turning the feature on before riding.

ReplyQuote
(@blihi)

You can also automate this using plugins like Tasker. The moment you get a Bluetooth connection to the TFT of the bike, you switch on the accessibility service and the moment you loose that connection, you switch it off again. 

In Tasker, use the BT Connection event for that. 

ReplyQuote
(@richard-hill)
Topic starter  

@blihi thanks for that. I have to admit it hadn't crossed my mind as previous attempts at automation (wanted to force WiFi calling at home) required root and that would break company MDM policies. Looks like Tasker doesn't need root, so will give a go.

ReplyQuote
(@blihi)

I can confirm that no root is needed for this (I'm on a company phone, so root is not an option). 

I went a bit overboard with Tasker, so now, if the BT connection to the bike is made, the following happens:

phone unlocks (this can be done with the autoinput plugin if you use a pattern unlock),
wifi is switched off (why would you need it while riding?),
The current media volume level is stored in a variable
media volume is set to maximum
do-not-disturb switched on (no more annoying popups for new e-mails or social media messages while riding)
Carpe Iter accessibility service starts
BMW app opens (to ensure it realizes it should do ride tracking
Spotify opens (to ensure that's the media player)
LocusMap opens (I use that for navigation
LocusMap switches to the correct view (that's a bit more tricky to do using presets and Android intents to select the correct preset).

When the bike switches off and the BT connection to the TFT drops again, this is all undone, i.e.:

LocusMap switches back to the default view,
The Carpe-Iter acccessibility service stops
Do-not-disturb switches off
Wifi switches back on
media volume is restored to the variable value stored when connecting
homescreen is opened
phone locks (or technically, asks if it should lock and gives me 20 seconds to respond before locking anyway)

Tasked is quite the powerful tool to do all these things, but the learning curve is steep 😉

ReplyQuote
(@richard-hill)
Topic starter  

@blihi Yes, I think it will need a bit of time to get my head around it. There appears to be a few on Tasker where people have shared their tasks, so hopefully that will give a me a few pointers as to how to set up. One for the weekend I reckon!

ReplyQuote
Share: