[Sticky] Android 11 update - official release

143 Posts
30 Users
22 Likes
carpe-admin
(@carpe-admin)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

Thread concerning Android 11 update. Old thread about testing version is now closed, but still available for reference ( https://carpe-iter.eu/community/anything-else-carpe/android-11-update/ ). 

1.   Update from Android 9:

Carpe Reflasher app should now be showing in the App Shelf in the Manager app. Please install and go step by steps. There are onscreen instructions and warning. 

The process is also described here with links to video guides: https://carpe-iter.eu/carpe-iter-operating-system-update/

2.   Update for testing version of Android 11: 

Update procedure for testing ROM versions (update package downloaded manually, Build Number lower than 20231218):

Pre-requisite: connection to the Internet (Wifi strongly recommended - it will be a massive download). 

Go to System settings (cog wheel) - System - Additional system updates. Update will be offered, click install. 

The update process takes a while after the download completes. Do not panic, just let it run. You can use the device normally - the preparation for the update will continue on the background (just like on your Android phone). The only thing you should NOT do is click cancel - you would need to start over. After the update is ready, it will be applied on next CI Pad restart (if you stay on the update screen, you will get a prompt to restart the device - it is recommended that you stay on that screen during the update)

Known issues: 

a. Screen rotation lock in the Manager app does not carry over CI Pad restart. Will be fixed soon via Manager app update offered in the App Shelf

b. WiFi disconnects on some dual band routers (fortunately it actually does work on most router brands). The issues might be caused by some specific settings you made on your router. But if you are experiencing issues with the router in the stock configuration, this is what you can try to fix it (try the first item, if still no joy, move to next point): 

i. Disable DCHPv6 on your router,
   ii. Separate 2,4Ghz WiFi network and connect to 2,4Ghz (do not connect to 5Ghz network)
  iii. Disable IPv6 protocols.
  iv. In the Advanced WiFi network settings on CI Pad (click cog-wheel next to your WiFi network - Advanced - Privacy - change from "Use randomized MAC" to "Use device MAC"
  V. Change your router channel, it's possible that your router uses the top most channels by default, which may be unreliable. For 2,4 Ghz, try channel 1, 6 or 11, for 5Ghz, try 36, 40, 44 or 48.
   Vi. Contact your router manufacturer support.

WiFi issues on dual band and IPv6 routers are unfortunately common on Android 11 - just google search for "Android 11 DHCPv6 issues" or "Android 11 5Ghz issues" or "Android 11 wifi disconnects frequently" and feel free to add any of the major brand names to the search query to see that this issue is not specific to small brands like Carpe (everybody is using the same Android core). The problems also largely relate to the fact that Android does not natively support DHCPv6 protocols. When you google search for these problems, you will find that even Google had issues on their Pixel phones or Samsung on Galaxy phones, which didn't get fixed (ever). What we could do about WiFi on Android 11, we did. Next try to smooth things out we plan to take on Android 13 ROM build (keep fingers crossed).

This topic was modified 5 months ago 7 times by carpe-admin
This topic was modified 4 months ago by CarpeMedia

carpe-admin
(@carpe-admin)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

Update procedure for testing ROM versions (update package downloaded manually, Build Number lower than 20231218):

Pre-requisite: connection to the Internet (Wifi strongly recommended - it will be a massive download). 

Go to System settings (cog wheel) - System - Additional system updates. Update will be offered, click install. 

The update process takes a while after the download completes. Do not panic, just let it run. You can use the device normally, it the preparation for the update will continue on the background (just like on your Android phone). The only thing you should NOT do it click cancel - you would need to start over. 

This post was modified 5 months ago by carpe-admin

ReplyQuote
(@therealfwbulldog)

I tried to run the Carpe reflasher v1.07, but the app says “unable to get tablet serial number- possibly missing root privileges”

I also don’t have magisk, and don’t understand the instructions to “long press on the Home Screen”.  

ReplyQuote
 Bit
(@bit)

@kurt-shetlergmail-com 

Genauso ist es mir auch ergangen.

Fehlermeldung:

Unable Tour geht Tablet serial number-possibly Missing root privileges.

Eine Lösung habe ich leider auch nicht dafür.

ReplyQuote
carpe-admin
(@carpe-admin)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

Sorry guys, but this is covered in great detail in the video. You need to be more specific about what your problem is. The captions (subtitles) in the video are revised - you can have them automatically translated in German by YouTube and they should make sense even after being translated.

Long press means you put your finger on the screen (on an empty space where there is no app ikon) and keep it there until the pop-up menu with "Home settings" comes up. Hope this will work for you. 

This post was modified 5 months ago 3 times by carpe-admin

ReplyQuote
(@stefan-wieser)

@carpe-admin Which video? Link please! Magisk is not visible in list of the apps. But I can find Magisk under the apps in the system. But in system I cannot open Magisk. How do I open Magisk? Why Magisk is not visible in the apps?

ReplyQuote
(@therealfwbulldog)

@carpe-admin I think my problem is that my launcher crashes.   The only thing I can run is dmd2.  I cannot get to the android home screen shown in the video.   If I try to run Lawnchair it crashes.   

what launcher should I be using?  

ReplyQuote
(@therealfwbulldog)

I had to download a new launcher, installl that, reset all the app permissions and then power cycle it to the tablet would ask what to launch.  I selected the new launcher, and then got a Home Screen.  Then I could get to the settings and enable un-hiding  unused apps. Then Magisk showed up and I could enable permission. 

ReplyQuote
(@therealfwbulldog)

Posted by: @carpe-admin

Sorry guys, but this is covered in great detail in the video. You need to be more specific about what your problem is. The captions (subtitles) in the video are revised - you can have them automatically translated in German by YouTube and they should make sense even after being translated.

Long press means you put your finger on the screen (on an empty space where there is no app ikon) and keep it there until the pop-up menu with "Home settings" comes up. Hope this will work for you. 

this only works if you can stop dmd2 and get to the “Home Screen”.   If dmd2 is the launcher there is no “Home Screen” as shown in the video. We only see dmd2. The “Home Screen” in dmd2 doesn’t allow you to long press into settings.  You might want to cover how to exit dmd2, or be specific about what launcher should be running, and how to get to what you’re calling the “Home Screen”.  

ReplyQuote
(@laode)
Eminent Member

Posted by: @stefan-wieser

@carpe-admin Which video? Link please! Magisk is not visible in list of the apps. But I can find Magisk under the apps in the system. But in system I cannot open Magisk. How do I open Magisk? Why Magisk is not visible in the apps?

The link is provided on the first post or here it is https://carpe-iter.eu/carpe-iter-operating-system-update/

ReplyQuote
(@therealfwbulldog)

I was able to update successfully, but now there is no DMD2.  Do I need to install DMD2 separately from the Play Store?  Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I'm not an Android expert.  DMD2 was already installed on the tablet when I bought it.  Now that I've upgraded to 11 it's no longer there.  Do I need to manually install it and make it the launcher? 

ReplyQuote
(@laode)
Eminent Member

@therealfwbulldog Welcome to Android 11 then. Where and when did you buy the unit? Thork or directly from Carpe Iter? 

If you bought it from Thork before February 2023 then you can request license key via ttps://www.thorkracing.com/request-license-key/

After that you can check this https://www.drivemodedashboard.com/non-play-store-license/

If you bought it from Carpe iter, then you can just install it again from Google Playstore but of course it will cost you some money for the license. 

Hope this help

ReplyQuote
(@laode)
Eminent Member

@carpe-admin Hi there, 

I just did upgrade to Android 11 few days ago just before you announce the latest method to upgrade. I just realize today that the charging did not start automatically like it used to be before the upgrade. How to make it auto start again? Do I need to "upgrade again" using the current method? If so, the problem is I don't find reflasher on my Carpe Manager - App Shelf. 

ReplyQuote
(@diederik-kielbaey)

@carpe-admin Thanks! Seems to work really well:-). Huge improvement from 9.

carpe-admin reacted
ReplyQuote
(@sofasurfer)

Update went fine but the tablet will not hold a wifi connection to AVM FritzBox Router/Repeater longer than maybe 60 seconds.... this makes the tablet impossible to use atm...

Anybody else with Fritz hardware seeing similar problems? There were some posts to this problem in the beta thread... I figured it would have been sorted in the official release 🙁

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 10
Share: